[portland] Python jobs at Discogs

Kevin Lewandowski kevinsl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 00:55:41 CEST 2009

Hi, all. Discogs is a Portland company and we're looking hire some
developers and a sysadmin.

Discogs is the largest database of music information. Each month,
millions of people use Discogs to connect and learn about music as
well as buy and sell it. We are a small and creative company where
each employee's contribution can make a large impact. As Discogs
continues to grow, we are looking for bright, dedicated, innovative
and highly motivated people to help us realize the vision of Discogs:
To be the one of the premier websites for music enthusiasts
everywhere.

To apply for one of these positions, please send your cover letter and
resume to work at discogs.com

Software Engineers

We are looking for software engineers to write server-side code in
Python for web-based applications. The successful candidate has
experience building web applications and understands how the web works
from top to bottom. Excellent communication skills are a must.

Requirements
    * BS in Computer Science or equivalent
    * Strong python skills and fluent in other dynamic or object
oriented languages
    * Experience in database programming: MySQL preferred
    * Experience developing/designing large scale software systems

Desirable
    * HTML, Javascript, Ajax
    * Experience with distributed computing and messaging systems
    * Web APIs
    * Knowledgeable of various Agile methodologies and practices
    * Preference for vim over emacs

Personal
    * Excellent written and verbal communication skills
    * Able to commit and follow through on projects and tasks
    * Self-starter who is comfortable working with others in a small
dynamic environment

This is a full time position based in Portland, Oregon.

Systems Administrator

We are looking for a systems administrator to support our growing
server infrastructure. The successful candidate has extensive
knowledge of unix servers, networking and can handle all systems
aspects from the hardware level to planning capacity for our growth.

Responsibilities
    * Manage server monitoring and notification infrastructure
    * Manage backup process
    * Manage our capacity planning through metrics
    * Work with development team in deploying new services
    * Configure new servers including racking and OS/software installation
    * Provide on-call support within a rotation schedule

Required Skills and Experience
    * Unix CLI
    * Shell scripting
    * Networking, Switches, VLANS, HTTP, load balancing

Desirable
    * Familiar with CentOS distribution
    * Knowledge of diskless clients
    * Familiar with Python