[portland] Werkzeug, web, testing, etc. discussion

Michael Schurter michael at susens-schurter.com
Wed Feb 4 21:13:27 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 11:58 AM, John Hampton <pacopablo at pacopablo.com> wrote:
> Michael Schurter wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd at commandprompt.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Has Django fixed its ORM yet? Last I checked it lacked the ability to
>>> properly handle primary keys.
>>
>> While Django's ORM is definitely nothing to brag about compared to
>> SqlAlchemy and other more powerful Python ORM's, it definitely handles
>> primary keys just fine:
>>
>> Defining:
>>  http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/models/fields/#primary-key
>>
>> Querying by:
>>
>>  http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/db/queries/#the-pk-lookup-shortcut
>
> The way I read this is that Django still doesn't support multi-column
> primary keys.  I also found a ticket[1] that is still open regarding
> supporting multi-column primary keys.  I didn't read the ticket thoroughly.
>  Is it true that the Django ORM still can't do multi-column primary keys?
>
> Joshua, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you were referring to
> being able to handle multi-column primary keys in your question, no?
>
> -John

Ah, that.  I was hoping you wouldn't notice that.  ;-)

You are correct, no composite primary key support yet, but they're
working on it:
  http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/MultipleColumnPrimaryKeys
  http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/373

I use surrogate keys and intermediary tables currently.  Not pretty
and it will make DBAs cry.  YMMV