[portland] Recommendation for book to use in classroom?

Thomas Hamlin thomashamlin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 06:46:12 CET 2009

Charles,

You might check out Toby Segaran's Programming Collective Intelligence
(2007 O'Reilly).  It's chock full of practical Python code, and the
students will be exposed to a broad range of algorithms (clustering,
search/query/ranking, Bayesian classification, neural networks) and
useful libraries for parsing and working with data.  While the topics
sound quite advanced, the book remains accessible because of its focus
on applied programming.  I can imagine lots of interesting assignments
around the topics in the book.

However, you'll have to see whether he addresses the more
"interesting" language constructs of Python, since the examples are
fairly focused and rather scripty.  You could augment it with an
exploration of the internals of one of the  interesting Python
packages, say SQLAlchemy or one of the web app frameworks...

(I agree on Kirby's Safari online library suggestion, too).

Regards,
Thomas