[portland] Recommendation for book to use in classroom?

jason kirtland jek at discorporate.us
Fri Jan 16 19:47:26 CET 2009

I second the Python Essential Reference recommendation.  It's a
fantastic introduction and reference for people who already know how to
program in another language.  It hits all of the interesting bits of
what makes Python different with little or no fluff.

The book also has a big section covering the standard library in a
format similar to Python's own docs, which combined with the great index
may be a friendly way to introduce the Python documentation style to
those more familiar with javadoc.