[portland] Meeting for New Urban Edibles Website

Michael Bunsen notbot at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 09:18:38 CEST 2009

New Website Brainstorm & Planning Meeting for Urbanedibles.org

When: Sunday July 12th, 3pm
Where: Backspace (115 NW 5th Ave)

We have been envisioning a new website for a long while and it's time
to make it happen. The current site is was built using Rails 3 years
ago, but since then I have become a full-time Pythoneer and am leaning
towards Django for the next urbanedibles.org

We have lots of ideas for new features, including opening it up to all
cities, searching for what's ripe now, submitting sources via
SMS/Twitter, an API, iPhone app, etc. (Many at:
http://wiki.urbanedibles.org/index.php?title=New_Feature_Ideas)

This will be a very open meeting, but I would like to come out of it
with some specific problems and tasks that need to be tackled. I think
this could be a great community coding project that could follow in
the foot steps of Calagator and their development process
(http://code.google.com/p/calagator/w/list).

Urban Edibles has gained a lot of momentum and international press
over the last few years and I would love to see it fulfill the many
requests we've had for expansion.

If you are interested in collaborating but can't make it to the
meeting, please send me an email. I have been the only C.S. focused
person on the team thus far (others work on education, leading plant
walks, publishing, etc.) There are needs for graphic design,
interaction design, mapping/GIS, javascript, scaling, API design,
social media integration, clustering...the list can be as long as we
are willing to make it.

Some dated info can be found on our recently revived wiki:
http://wiki.urbanedibles.org

Best,

Michael Bunsen
503-928-4124