[portland] python bridge talk questions / advice

Dylan Reinhardt python at dylanreinhardt.com
Wed Mar 11 17:15:10 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:34 AM, mgross <markgross at thegnar.org> wrote:

> (like, does my cheap-oh ISP have a legitimate point regarding its
> refusal to support Django sites?)

They may have a point... if their point is to use a better provider.  ;-)

The main issue with Django is that it virtually requires shell access to be
useful and it's difficult to host without providing what amounts to full
shell access anyway.  Many discount hosting providers are reluctant to
provide shell access, ergo, no Django.

WebFaction is not only a very Python-friendly shop, but has gone to the
trouble of setting up SELinux-based hosting.  So you can have free reign,
but only within the correct context.  It's worth a good look if you're
interested in doing Django dev in a shared hosting environment.

For what that's worth...

> So my question to the list is can folks feed me some workloads I can
> use in a side project I'm thinking of starting to drill down on the
> performance and scaling issues with python and Django use for both web
> applications and python code in general?

If you have specific bottlenecks *after* you've done the standard
deployment/caching stuff,  I'd love to hear about them.

Dylan