[portland] python bridge talk questions / advice

mgross markgross at thegnar.org
Thu Mar 12 02:36:10 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 09:23:11AM -0700, Michael Schurter wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:34 AM, mgross <markgross at thegnar.org> wrote:
> > Last nights pdxpython meeting was pretty much the best I've ever been
> > too.  I woke up thinking about some stuff related to python and a
> > possible bridge talk I'm starting to consider doing.
>
> I've been trying to think of a talk as well... I might be posting some
> ideas to the list for feedback as well.  :)
>
> > One of the many things that stuck in my head from last meeting
> > (besides Machine learning--which was uber cool) was the pytyrant and
> > friends talk hitting on the performance of the database.
> >
> > What struck me is the performance delta in database throughput on
> > Michael's simple sample losing 2 orders of magnitude int run time by
> > using a loop-back network over direct to the file access.
> >
> > It got me thinking, hmm, I know a little about how to drill down on performance
> > and scaling problems and, I know some experts in the performance area
> > I can ask questions of, and I have a few questions on what exactly are
> > the performance issues with python and django workloads?
> > (like, does my cheap-oh ISP have a legitimate point regarding its
> > refusal to support Django sites?)
>
> How to identify bottlenecks is something I'd love to hear a talk on.
> While putting "scaling" in the title will probably double your
> audience, I care more about the step before you scale: figuring out
> whats running slowly.

I was thinking of scaling with respect to number of cores. I think
I'll just focus on bottlenecks and avoid getting anyones hopes I that
I'll figure anything too interesting out.

> I think focusing on the bottlenecks between your application and
> backend data storage would be *really* interesting as the Internet is
> already full of people comparing mostly meaningless HTTP benchmarks
> against their frontend servers.

Thanks!  I was thinking of starting with the measurements you showed at
the meeting last night, I want to understand why it going though the
loop back network device caused a 100x slow down.

> Also, focusing on that area might appeal more to non-web people such
> as DBAs and sysadmins.
>
> Just a thought.  :)

Thanks!

--mgross