[portland] Request for comments on my OS Bridge proposal

Michael Schurter michael at susens-schurter.com
Mon Mar 30 22:55:45 CEST 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Igal Koshevoy <igal at pragmaticraft.com> wrote:
> Michael Schurter wrote:
>> http://michael.susens-schurter.com/blog/2009/03/29/crowdsourcing-my-os-bridge-talk-proposal/
>>
> Your talk's description is quite thorough and I like the suggested
> evaluation metrics. I also like Kirby's suggestion of providing taxonomy
> to differentiate the various servers. You might find some more
> dimensions to cover listed in the various tables at:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_servers

Thanks for the link.  Seems it covers my portability metric well and
does a pretty good job on the "features" one as well.

> That all said, I find that I can pick the appropriate web server by
> seeing how well my needs fit some very simple criteria:
>
> * Apache: Do I need a very easy way to run apps written in PHP, Ruby
> (mod_passenger), Python (mod_wsgi), Perl (mod_perl), FastCGI, etc?
> * Nginx: Do I need a very fast, super efficient, totally reliable server
> for static content or a simple proxy?
> * Lighttpd: Why would I choose a server that's inferior in all ways to
> Apache and Nginx?
> * HAproxy: Do I need a sophisticated but finicky high-availability proxy
> server?
> * CherryPy: Do I need to run CherryPy apps, e.g., TurboGears 1.x?
> * Thin: Do I need to run Ruby apps on a server where I can't install
> Passenger?
> * Mongrel: Why would I choose a server that's inferior in all ways to
> Thin and Passenger?

Excellent!  This is exactly the sort of info about Ruby platforms I
was looking for!  Thanks.  :)  Good questions to address in general.

>> I think I'm also going to submit a proposal on Django because Python
>> seems under-represented on the proposals list:
>>
>> http://opensourcebridge.org/events/2009/proposals/
> I think that intro and advanced Django talks would be well-received and
> well-attended.

I'd like to be an active contributor or at least a more active
community member before I give an advanced talk.  Despite being the
more mundane proposal, I've gotten the most positive feedback on a
intro to Django (especially *not* a blog-in-20-minutes howto, but
rather a more when to use Django intro).

Thanks igal!