[portland] Software Developer opening at Ecotrust
tim.j.welch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 17:48:02 CEST 2009
Like Python and Django web development? Savvy with maps and spatial
toolsets or excited to get your hands on them? Interested in working
for a progressive non-profit on projects ranging from marine spatial
planning to forest carbon modeling? Ecotrust is looking for someone
to join our in-house development team in our Portland office.
Please pass this position on. If you have any questions I'd be happy
to answer them. Just want to restate that if you don't have
experience using or developing geospatial tools, but are a strong
developer, we still encourage you to apply.
Lead Software Developer, Ecotrust
twelch at ecotrust.org
Title: Applications Developer
Reports to: Lead Developer
Location: Portland, OR
Ecotrust’s mission is to inspire fresh thinking that creates economic,
social and environmental well-being. Ecotrust works on conservation
and economic development from Alaska to California by investing in the
distinctive natural advantages of individuals, businesses and
communities. Founded in 1991 and based in Portland, Oregon, Ecotrust
works in five programmatic areas: Fisheries, Forestry, Native
Programs, Food & Farms and Knowledge Systems.
Role and Functional Responsibilities
The applications developer will work within the Ecotrust Knowledge
Systems group, developing complex software products and systems. They
will work on projects under the guidance of the lead developer to
implement and test major features and subsystems with minimal
oversight. They will also provide support and guidance specific to
programming needs, as necessary, to other staff. Development of
spatial tools and analysis will be a significant part of this position
as well as creative use of existing and emerging technologies. Over
time the applications developer will work on a diverse range of
projects becoming a well-rounded part of the team.
* BS/BA in Computer Science or equivalent experience
* Commitment to the Ecotrust mission
* Commitment to developing and using open-source solutions
* Work independently and as part of a diverse team
* Juggle projects and deliver on schedule
* Scope tasks and estimate time
* Communicate effectively
Demonstrated experience with:
* The full software development life cycle
* Web application development
o Server-side we primarily use Django (GeoDjango) and
o Client-side we primarily use JQuery, Ext and OpenLayers
o See our Marinemap and Open OceanMap tools for examples.
* Database management systems such as PostgreSQL, SQLite, Oracle or
* Desktop application development experience
o We primarily use the QT framework (PyQT) along with Quantum
o See the Open OceanMap desktop tool.
* Knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS).
* Experience with geospatial tools, libraries and standards.
o We utilize Mapserver, Geoserver, OpenLayers, Grass and Quantum GIS
* Experience with the ESRI suite of GIS software products
* Experience with spatial database management systems such as
PostGIS, SpatiaLite, SQL Server 2008, Oracle Spatial
* Experience developing and deploying software on multiple
platforms, particularly Linux servers
* An eye for usability and good design. Layout and CSS skills are a plus
* Interest in presenting and/or publishing results of the teams work
* Note, that if you don't have experience using or developing
geospatial tools, but are a strong developer, we still encourage you
This is a fulltime position. Salary commensurate with experience.
Medical and retirement benefits and a generous vacation package
included. Ecotrust is an equal opportunity employer. Application
materials are due no later than 5:00 PM on Tuesday, September 15th. To
apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, standard Ecotrust
employment application, and references to:
Instructions for Applying
The job posting will be appearing shortly at
http://www.ecotrust.org/about/jobs.html where instructions and contact
information can be found.
No phone calls please.
More information about the Portland