[portland] detecting implicit encoding conversion

Christopher Hiller chiller at decipherinc.com
Thu Feb 25 01:49:09 CET 2010

List,

I'm having a difficult time with this particular problem.  I have a codebase
where I would like to find all occurrences of implicit decodes.  It's
difficult to do this with grep, and I was wondering if there was another way
by means of decorators or monkeypatching or compiler/parse tree analysis or
something.  An example:

foo = u'bar' + 'baz'

This implicitly decodes "baz" using the system default encoding.  In my case
this encoding is ASCII.

However -- and this is where problems can arise -- what if you had this:

foo = u'bar' + 'büz'

...which results in a SyntaxError if your default encoding is ASCII.

Any ideas?  I'm having problems googling for solutions because I'm not
entirely sure what to google for.

thanks
Chris
--