[portland] Protecting Intellectual Property In Python Applications

Dylan Reinhardt python at dylanreinhardt.com
Thu Jan 21 19:15:35 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

>  Python is an interpreted scripting language with outstanding mathematical
> libraries and a great UI development tool in wxPython. Unlike complied
> languages such as C the underlying code is visible to everyone who looks at
> it. This is a problem when the application is unique and proprietary.

There are technical approaches to this problem, but I suspect the real
problem is you have the wrong distribution model.  If your algo is truly
unique and highly valuable, I would seriously consider a SaaS model.  That
way you sell access/usage, not copies of your trade secrets.

SaaS used to be regarded with some suspicion by corporate IT, but the
cost-benefit on that shifted a while ago.  It's now likely to be seen as
*less* risky than installing your custom-built desktop app.  The fact that
you also get better control is a serious win-win.

For what that's worth...

Dylan