[portland] Pylint, Emacs, and More

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jul 15 22:03:49 CEST 2010

   I want to run pylint from within emacs, and have python-pylint.el in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/. The python-pylint.el script starts with an
autoload command that is supposed to load it as a minor-mode. I'm far from
an emacs expert and would like guidance on how to modify ~/.emacs to load
this script when a .py file is loaded and the python major mode is invoked.

   Also, what are the relations among emacs-flymake, pylint, and pyflakes? I
understand that pychecker is a subset of pylint but don't understand
pyflakes or why flymake is also needed.

   Clarification and guidance greatly appreciated.

Rich