[portland] Pylint, Emacs, and More

Brett Carter brett at rdnzl.net
Thu Jul 15 23:44:37 CEST 2010

I've always used pyflakes simply because it's fast - it analyzes the
source of your python module; it doesn't try to import making
configuration as easy as typing "pyflakes foo.py".

I can't comment on python-pylint.el - I'm not familiar with it.  Many
of us are using flymake and pyflakes to do on the fly syntax checking
in Emacs.  Flymake is a framework for emacs that provides hooks for
doing on the fly syntax checking:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FlyMake

Chris M. explains a basic setup here:
http://www.plope.com/Members/chrism/flymake-mode

For a more sophisticated setup, see my dotfile repo and Jason K's
pycheckers script:

http://bitbucket.org/jek/sandbox/src/tip/pycheckers
http://bitbucket.org/zbskii/misc/src/tip/.emacs

Hope this helps.