[portland] Pylint, Emacs, and More

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 16 00:08:54 CEST 2010

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Brett Carter wrote:

> I've always used pyflakes simply because it's fast - it analyzes the
> source of your python module; it doesn't try to import making
> configuration as easy as typing "pyflakes foo.py".

Brett,

   I'll look at pyflakes to learn how it differs from pylint.

> I can't comment on python-pylint.el - I'm not familiar with it.  Many of
> us are using flymake and pyflakes to do on the fly syntax checking in
> Emacs.  Flymake is a framework for emacs that provides hooks for doing on
> the fly syntax checking: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FlyMake

   I saw that page on the wiki but did not appreciate that it provides
on-the-fly checks and eliminates the need to manually invoke a checker.

> Chris M. explains a basic setup here:
> http://www.plope.com/Members/chrism/flymake-mode
>
> For a more sophisticated setup, see my dotfile repo and Jason K's
> pycheckers script:
>
> http://bitbucket.org/jek/sandbox/src/tip/pycheckers
> http://bitbucket.org/zbskii/misc/src/tip/.emacs

   Great! I'll read these for insights and help.

> Hope this helps.

   Sure does. Many thanks. BTW, have you any suggestions or recommendations
on refactoring tools?

Rich