[portland] June meeting recap

Michelle Rowley mrowley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 09:03:28 CEST 2010

Hey Pythoneers!

We had a great meeting last night. John Melesky went over the meat of
multiprocessing, Karl Anderson introduced Twisted, and Michael Schurter
presented an overview of Diesel. If you missed out on the fun, I'm here on
the scene with the highlights! :)

* John's talk is up online at:
http://phaedrusdeinus.org/talks/multiprocessing. Don't miss out on the code
samples John wrote - you can download them from the links in the slides.
Also, here's a pastebin John shared on IRC earlier that has another example
using Process and Queue: http://pastebin.com/zf3ndUiT.

* Karl passed on some awesome follow-up resources for his talk on Twisted:

"Twisted Web In 60 Seconds" is a good introduction to the Twisted web
stack:
http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/web/howto/web-in-60/index.html

My GET/POST queue was a simplification of "slosh" by Dustin Sailings.
I think it shows the usefulness of Twisted when adapting a push
protocol to HTTP: http://github.com/dustin/slosh

A good discussion of Twisted's use of generators and Deferreds is here:
http://blog.mekk.waw.pl/archives/14-Twisted-inlineCallbacks-and-deferredGenerator.html

More documentation about Deferreds and Twisted's asynchronous paradigm
in general - the "jump into the deep end" docs I mentioned - is found
here: http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/core/howto/index.html

* Michael Schurter's talk on Diesel can be found at:
http://docs.google.com/present/view?id=ddzswzbr_78dtx3tgnp. The 3rd to last
slide also has links to a bunch of related resources if you want to find out
more, including how to contribute to the project if you are so inclined!

Thanks again to John, Karl and Michael for their wonderful and informative
talks, and for being such good sports with the cranky projector!

See you next month,
Michelle