[portland] OSB and Python

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri May 14 18:18:42 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 5:31 AM, Dylan Reinhardt
<dylanr at dylanreinhardt.com> wrote:
> On May 13, 2010, at 10:12 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Dylan Reinhardt
>> <python at dylanreinhardt.com> wrote:
>>> I missed OpenStreetMap.  So three.  :-)
>>>
>>> Obviously, there's more of a "culture" focus at OSB than an "implementation"
>>> focus and Python isn't really heavy into culture.  That's one of the things
>>> I value about Python, actually.
>>>

>> I value the culture, one of Python's fortes.
>>
>> Lightning Talks for example.
>

> Oh, sure. And I value our sense of humor.
>
> But compared with some other communities, Python spends an impressively small amount of time plumbing the depths of its own soul or demonizing outsiders. I like that too. :-)
>
> Dylan

Yes.  I'm always impressed how the Django people tend to
invite not-Python people to give keynotes 'n stuff.  Kaplan-Moss
says good things about Ruby on Rails etc.

I also enjoy the "why Python (or some feature thereof) sucks"
theme for some talks, usually with constructive suggestions.

Kirby