[portland] CMS Recommendations

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Thu Sep 2 18:10:49 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 17:08 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, jonathan karon wrote:

>    Perhaps there are features in Django that will attract more potential
> clients, but I've no idea what such attractions might be.

Well as I said previously Django won't do what you want. It is just a
framework. However a Django application might, Django-Cms is what I
would look into.

>    I am resistant to installing and learning MySQL because I've used postgres
> and sqlite for years and don't want to learn and maintain a third dbms. I
> don't make money by writing Web sites, and so far it's not directly
> generated any business for us. I'll be changing the focus and content, but I
> like the looks of the current site.

Oh come on, there are a lot more reasons than that to not learn MySQL :P

> > It's not Python, but you might have a look at Drupal as it does have
> > good Postgres support.
>
>    My preference for Python is that I've written our approximate reasoning
> models in Python and don't want to learn PHP, Java, or Ruby just for the Web
> site. Again, it's not my business so I want to modify the site then ignore
> it as I've done in the past.

Well, a true CMS you don't have to learn the language. Drupal has a huge
community around it. It has a ton of modules. The PostgreSQL Conference
site for example is in Drupal. I would prefer it be Python and Pylons or
something but I would never have to the time to get it deployed as I
have with Drupal.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor