[portland] CMS Recommendations

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 2 18:29:19 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Well as I said previously Django won't do what you want. It is just a
> framework. However a Django application might, Django-Cms is what I would
> look into.

Josh,

   You are correct that I don't need a framework, but a tool to manage
content and allow me to do more with the site. I've looked very closely at
Drupal, but was told that local developers consider it to have a very steep
initial learning curve.

   More exploration this morning turned up Elxis (http://www.elxis.com/).
That looks ideal for me.

> Oh come on, there are a lot more reasons than that to not learn MySQL :P

   Well, sure. I've used postgres for more than a dozen years and use sqlite
for single-user, embedded applications.

> Well, a true CMS you don't have to learn the language.

   True.

> Drupal has a huge community around it. It has a ton of modules. The
> PostgreSQL Conference site for example is in Drupal. I would prefer it be
> Python and Pylons or something but I would never have to the time to get
> it deployed as I have with Drupal.

   See above. I'm down to Drupal and Elxis.

   Converting my static web pages to be part of a CMS-run site is a whole new
experience. I'm slowing realizing what I can do that would add value to site
visitors; I'm sure that there are many more benefits that I don't know
exist.

Thanks,

Rich