[portland] Meeting Recap + Reminders

Michelle Rowley michelle at pdxpython.org
Thu Apr 14 21:06:27 CEST 2011

Thanks to everyone who came out to the monthly meeting Tuesday night. And
two loud shouts out to Chris Pitzer for his talk on Learning Javascript from
Python <http://lofiart.com/files/learning_js_from_python.zip>, and to Adam
Lowry for demoing the
traceback<http://docs.python.org/library/traceback.html>and
cgitb <http://docs.python.org/library/cgitb.html> modules.

If I weren't me I would shout at myself for talking about why everyone
should be giving talks, which I hope has inspired everyone on this list to
come and talk to the group about something (anything Pythonic, even if it's
just for 5 minutes). Lightning talks are welcome at every single meeting,
and we always have Michel's Module of the Month, another great opportunity
to do a short talk. Everyone is *highly* encouraged to give speaking a try!

If you have an idea for a talk topic, let us know at
snakeherders at pdxpython.org or ping dael or jek in #pdxpython on Freenode.
There's still room on the schedule for May's
meeting<http://www.meetup.com/pdxpython/events/17292154/>
!

Speaking of May's meeting (that's on May 10th, at 6:30pm), we're doing a
raffle that you won't want to miss. Here's the list of items so far:

* One ticket to the Open Source Bridge
conference<http://opensourcebridge.org/>in June!
* One black Python logo coffee/tea mug
* One Python logo whisky glass
* A set of Python 3 tutorial videos
* One Django shirt (size Large)
* I think I'm forgetting something

And, speaking of Open Source Bridge, one last reminder: there's still time
to make your voice heard about the sessions you'd like to see. If you'd like
to influence the selection committee, please read the
proposals<http://opensourcebridge.org/events/2011/proposals> and
leave comments by this Saturday night.

See you next month!
Michelle