[portland] Tkinter Question

Matt McCredie mccredie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 19:23:05 CET 2011

> So my first question has to do with tkinter which I am using to build the gui.
> Is it possible to adjust the size of input boxes in tkinter?

I'm assuming you mean the "Entry" widget. And yes, it can be resized
just like any other widget.

I have used this site as a resource for Tkinter in the past. It isn't
great, but last I checked there wasn't much.

http://www.pythonware.com/library/

Here is some code that creates an Entry widget that resizes with the parent:

import Tkinter as tk

root = tk.Tk()
e = tk.Entry(root)
e.pack(fill='x', expand=True)
root.mainloop()

> Second, I am planning on using xmlrpc for communication. Is this best/easiest?

That depends on what you are familiar with and what type of data you
are communicating. If you are creating an xmlrpc server inside of your
gui app you will have to do some work to make sure that both event
loops get run (server and gui). I've done it before, but it isn't
trivial.

My guess is that most of the people in the python mailing list would
find that creating a simple web-app would be easier. But again, that
depends on what you are familiar with. And I don't know all of the
requirements for your project.

Matt