[portland] New data, old script: new problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Mar 23 14:15:46 CET 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, jonathan karon wrote:

> It looks to me like your data headers (location and date) have two blanks
> at the beginning of the rows (two leading colons), while the sampled data
> has only one blank (one leading colon).

Jonathon,

   Yes, they do. I can remove those extra blanks; at least, one of them. All
rows should have the same number of columns, but the location and sampling
date start one column over because the first column below has the parameter
name. I completely missed that, but should have seen there was one too many
columns there.

> Also, it looks like loc[1] and sampdate[1] are blank.  Are you
> intentionally including them in your output?  You may want to skip
> processing if i < 2, otherwise your first data column will also be blank.

   The blanks should not be in the output.

   My problems are caused by each tab in the same spreadsheet (as well as
each spreadsheet) is structured differently. That's what makes extracting
these data and reformatting them to match the database table so time
consuming.

   Thanks very much for pointing me to the top two lines and not the
following ones.

Rich