[portland] Rate question

Chris McDonald xwraithanx at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 19:47:53 CEST 2011

I'd be careful. If you wrote that during company time at the last
company then (depending on paperwork signed) they likely own the
application and source. So taking it and reselling it, even with extra
features/rebranding may be breaking a legally binding contract.

As for rate, that is always something to be negotiated between you and
the employer. I tend to give clients I like working with and projects
I like working on lower rates (than my midline) so I encourage
continuing work with them. The inverse is also true, clients I don't
like working with or projects I don't like working on I aim higher to
get my time's worth since I am doing something that I don't want to
continue doing but if they are willing to pay me extra I'll keep
working on it.

The trick is finding your value, which varies from person to person
how much they think their time and skills are worth, especially within
the context of another company.

My suggestion, if you don't think you'll scare them off and they are
business people who know how to negotiate, aim a bit higher, let them
negotiate you down a little bit. As Mr. Sheen would say 'Bi-winning'
you feel like you are getting as much as you are worth, they feel like
they got a deal too since they talked you down a bit. If they aren't
business types, then aim for what you want, chances are they wont
challenge it unless they have to.

-Chris 'Wraithan' McDonald