[portland] Rate question

John Hampton pacopablo at pacopablo.com
Mon Mar 28 19:46:56 CEST 2011

On 3/28/11 10:33 AM, Josh English wrote:
> Any suggestions? I'm not going to say no, I just want to know what's
> market-rate fair.

Well, for computer work, ie, sysadmin stuff, etc.  A normal rate is
around $125/hr.  For programming, I would likely charge a similar rate.
I definitely wouldn't go below $75/hr.

Obviously, you have a previous relationship with the company, as well as
a tangential existing relationship.  If you think $75/hr to $125/hr is
too much, then you can agree on a fixed price for the enhancement.  As a
consumer, I like fixed prices.  As a programmer, I hate them.  Things
always tend to be a bit more complicated then expected.  Another
alternative is to charge the higher rate, and then discount the bill if
you feel it is too much.

Whatever you do, don't sell yourself short.  This is business, and you
have a skill that they value.  Programming may not be your primary
skill, but you obviously created something of value for them.  You are
the expert.

-John