[portland] Rate question

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Mon Mar 28 20:28:44 CEST 2011

On 03/28/2011 12:13 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> Josh English wrote:
>> Any suggestions? I'm not going to say no, I just want to know what's
>> market-rate fair.
>
> Good answers so far -- I just want to also remind you that as a contract
> employee your old company is not paying Unemployment Tax, Worker's Comp Tax,
> Social Security Tax, Vacation Time, Sick Time, etc, etc... actually, let me
> re-phrase -- they should be paying those costs in your rate, as it is a part
> of doing business.
>
> I am not a lawyer, but I don't think you'll have problems in this instance
> with copyright, etc, since it's the same company and they want to buy your
> time and expertise to work on their software.
>
> ~Ethan~

I second this. Not only do you have to pay a huge percentage for taxes, but
your health insurance rate is astronomical compared to that of a full-time
employee. Companies know this better than anyone, since they write the
checks for these costs that the employee doesn't see. Charging less then
double what you'd make as an employee is completely unnecessary, as you'd
cost the company no more than if they hired you outright. So $60 minimum, no
exceptions.

Carlos