[portland] Rate question

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Mon Mar 28 20:25:51 CEST 2011

On 03/28/2011 01:13 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> Good answers so far -- I just want to also remind you that as a
> contract employee your old company is not paying Unemployment Tax,
> Worker's Comp Tax, Social Security Tax, Vacation Time, Sick Time, etc,
> etc... actually, let me re-phrase -- they should be paying those costs
> in your rate, as it is a part of doing business.
>
> I am not a lawyer, but I don't think you'll have problems in this
> instance with copyright, etc, since it's the same company and they
> want to buy your time and expertise to work on their software.

I had this conversation with a friend yesterday. Also consider that if
you're working remotely, then you're providing your own space,
utilities, and IT support. There's measurable value to them in not
having to pay for the rental of your office's square footage, computer,
Windows/OS X/whatever, Office, etc.

--
Kirk Strauser