[portland] PyCon Talk submission brainstorming

Eric Holscher eric at ericholscher.com
Tue Sep 20 20:01:49 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Michelle Rowley <michelle at pdxpython.org>wrote:

> Hey Pythoneers!
>
> At last week's meeting there was some talk about getting together to
> brainstorm submissions for PyCon 2012 talks and/or tutorials. It would be
> amazing if we had some Portland representation at PyCon this year! The
> deadline for talk submission this year is October 12th - that's 3 weeks from
> tomorrow.
>
> If anyone is up for it, I think we should start brainstorming this weekend,
> and maybe we can get one or two more brainstorming/pep-talk sessions in
> before the deadline. Remember, you don't have to have a completely formed
> talk in order to submit, you just need an idea that you can flesh out by
> March if that idea gets accepted.
>
> It would also be great if anyone who has submitted and/or given talks at
> conferences before could join us and help us through the process. I've
> submitted to a conference once as a co-speaker, but it wasn't accepted, so
> the submitting (with Selena Deckelmann holding my hand the whole way ;)) is
> as much as I know about the process.

Pycon does a pretty good job of documenting these things as well. This blog
post should be a good starting point for anyone who's interested:

http://pycon.blogspot.com/2011/08/writing-good-proposal.html

> I've created a survey to keep track of how many Python people are feeling
> up to submitting a talk, and who can meet when: http://goo.gl/q7fWI. Feel
> free to ignore the stationery on that survey... someday I will change it
> from my old Emma testing one. ;)
>
> Michelle
>
> P.S. We can also discuss how we might all get down there… *cough*gigantic
> decorated van*cough*?? Just sayin'.

Sounds awesome.

I'll be out of town next week, but I'm def. up for helping review proposals
via IRC, or in person when I get back.

Cheers,
Eric

--
Eric Holscher
Engineer at Urban Airship in Portland, Or