[portland] Django Fundamentals Bootcamp

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Thu Apr 19 19:25:23 CEST 2012

On 4/18/2012 6:48 PM, Jeff Schwaber wrote:
> Is this really appropriate for this mailing list? North Carolina isn't
> particularly close to Portland, so unless you're offering free airfare
> for Portlanders because you hope we'll bring you beer and coffee, I'm
> skeptical that this mailing list is a great place to advertise.
>
> Am I wrong?

I don't know. I don't even know if this is the right place to discuss if
it's wrong. I feel if you need continued discussion about it, maybe
offlist would be appropriate, though that's just my opinion. But TriZPUG
has hosted Python-related bootcamps in the past that have been
communicated to Portland PUG, and have gotten attendees from Portland in
the past. We consider the reach of this event to be national and hope to
build models with it that other user groups could use.

We've literally spent years trying to finally have a Django bootcamp.
And our members, including the ones who designed this bootcamp, just
participated in a user group BOF at PyCon where, as is usual at that
BOF, concerns were expressed that user groups would like to communicate
their activities with each other more where appropriate. As it has
seemed appropriate and well responded to in the past, I thought it was
appropriate now.

But maybe I'm wrong. Please accept my apologies if you think so. This is
the only objection I've seen about in after notifying over 50 Python and
Django user groups in the U.S. and Canada. TriZPUG bootcamps have
brought in participants from six continents so far and we like building
bridges with other like-minded user groups.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530