[PSF-Community] (no subject)

Derrick Kearney diek at bellaliant.net
Sat Sep 26 03:24:46 CEST 2015

Hi,
Not everyone has a coder on standby to teach. And even then if you think a
programmer is going to walk you start to finish, then I think you need to
read Matt Gemmell¹s essay ³What Have You Tried²
http://mattgemmell.com/what-have-you-tried/ If you can find a good coder,
then a better approach is to ask them to be a mentor, vice a one on one
tutor.

I help admin 3 Python FB groups, we get more questions from people having
trouble with Code Academy: http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/python than
all other sources of learning Python combined. It is a good place to
reinforce learning/practise it does not build a strong foundation of the
basic of Python or basic problem solving.

Here are some solid first steps video.
Coursera/University of Michigan https://www.coursera.org/learn/python ( for
brand new programmers)
Edx/MIT
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-5 (
more challenging, but still intended for new programmers), this course is
also available self paced/not graded via MIT¹s OpenCourseWare
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00-
introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-fall-2008/

Books freely hosted online:
Byte of Python http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/python/ also available as a
free pdf
Learn Python the Hard Way. is also online
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
Zed makes a disclaimer, that his book is meant for brand new programmers, it
can be slow but it is a source that many people have used. Millions of
visits.

Concur with Google¹s Python Class, particularly for those with existing
programming experience.

Paid Option.
I learned a great deal from Michael Herman, Fletcher Heisler, Jeremy Johnson
over @ Real Python, their Course, 3 books updated regularly. It was the best
$60 I have even spent on learning. They use an tested and true approach,
project driven learning.
https://realpython.com/
Derrick