[PSF-Volunteers] Better fund raising for the PSF

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Wed Sep 28 22:51:11 CEST 2005

Hi,

I would like to try to build a better fund raising capability for the
PSF.  While the PSF has done OK obtaining new sponsors by osmosis, and
has done reasonably well through PyCon sponsorships, I think a
manageable amount of additional effort could really increase our
visibility as a worthy charitable organization.

For example, we could send a semi-monthly news letter + appeal for
donations to CLP, we could seek out potential corporate donors more
agressively, we could make recommendations to the board on how to
restructure available sponsor/donor opportunities to make those more
attractive, we could start a recurring donor program and/or send
solicitations to past donors say 2X/year, and so forth.

In the past year, we've started our grants program (with some success,
tho projects are still going on), we've funded a website redesign
(which I hope will soon get over the deployment hump), and of course
we continue to be the money bag behind PyCon which may in future years
require increasingly larger $ commitments from the PSF.  So there are
certainly compelling reasons to donate to the PSF.

Are there people on this list that are interested *and able* to help
with any of this?

I should note that the PSF has the Python Support Committee (PSC) that
is chartered to work on this kind of thing, but it has done nothing
recently and there appears to be no interest or time available among
its current members to work on this.  My intention as chairman of that
committee is to reform it with a fresh pool of volunteers, if some can
be found here.

Thanks!

Stephan Deibel
Chairman of the Board