[PyAR2] Getting to know you

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 15:55:07 CET 2007

[2nd attempt - reply to list isn't set!]

On Nov 15, 2007 6:59 PM, Greg Lindstrom <gslindstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you would, take a few minutes and let us know a little about you, what
> you do with Python (maybe you just want to learn it), and what you want out
> of the group. At this point, all ideas are good ideas.

Hi, I'm Tommy Trussell. I live/work in Conway, currently self-employed
in a family business, but  trained (and most of my professional
experience as) a software technical writer. My full-time writing jobs
have been in Boston and Little Rock, and I've done a bit of
freelancing over the years. I hope to get back to more writing
eventually.

Some of you may possibly know me via CARLUG or AppleRock, or the STC,
though I haven't been very active in any of those lately.

I've tinkered with a few languages, mostly as a hobbyist, but as a
technical writer it's usually good to be able to talk to subject
matter experts in their own language(s). Until 1995 my professional
jobs involved knowing and using MUMPS (now called M). Although M is
one of about five ANSI-standard languages and has been around since
the late 1960s, it's much less well known than Python at this point. I
don't believe there are any open-source implementations anymore.
Locally you'd have to go to the VA Hospital to see M being used.

I want to know more about Python because it seems useful for many of
the coding tasks I've tackled in the past. I see it come up a lot in
Debian/Ubuntu installations.

I'll probably lurk, mostly, as I have time. I do have a tendency to
make snarky comments, however, so if something I write bothers you
please let me know, as I rarely intend to