[PyAR2] Laptop for kids on the cheap?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 22:14:37 CET 2007

On Nov 17, 2007 11:19 AM, Chad Cooper <Chad_Cooper at swn.com> wrote:
> I'm wanting to get a laptop for my 5 year old son. We were thinking about
> the give one get one OLPC XO but then I read about some wireless issues with
> them plus I'd like my kids to be using it in 4-5 years. I'm open to running
> ubuntu on it. Anyone know of a good laptop source (new or refurb'd) in the
> $300 range.

I don't know where the wireless issues might be -- I ordered an OLPC
on the first day and so far there's not even a promise that it will be
delivered soon.

I don't know of any laptop I would think of as "sturdy" for a
5-year-old, but if you treated it as a "disposable," you could
probably come up with something for around $300 at all sorts of
places. Geeks.com always seems to have a few refurbs starting at about
$300, and there are tons of small shops around that might make a deal
on an older system.

An old iBook would run Ubuntu 6.0.6.1 Dapper, and might make a good
system for a kid.

Unfortunately with any laptop you're likely to spend a few hours
figuring out how to get the proprietary stuff working.