[PyAR2] First Meeting

Greg Lindstrom gslindstrom at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 04:30:24 CET 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 7:15 PM, Coltrey Mather <pyar2 at cowsgomoo.org> wrote:

> Forget all this training and meeting stuff (well, not really forget about
> it).
>
> Having tutorials and classes is great.  But what'd be really useful is a
> group project.  Something practical that we can all contribute to and learn
> from.  LUGs setup servers and have installfests and all that jazz.  We need
> sprints and projects and things.

Now you're talking!

> I can't speak for everyone, but I learn and retain much better from
> practical application of research/training than in any class.

I couldn't agree more!  And I have a couple of suggestions for projects to
open things up.

   1. For anyone that has been the coordinator of a fund raising project
   here you sell things (Girl Scout cookies, Boy Scout popcorn, Butter Braids,
   greenery, wrapping paper....) it would be nice to have a system where one
   could enter the products and costs so that items could be tracked.  A
   'dream' system might have individual web pages where the sellers could enter
   the names and items, and the entire order could be rolled up into one giant
   order.  It would be complex, but something we could release into the OS
   community.
   2. The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has been wanting to host their
   own "Python Meetup" service (something like meetup.com, I imagine) but
   have not had anyone step up to the plate to create it.  Maybe *we* could.
   Not necessarily do all of the coding, but we could head up the effort and
   solicit  help from the community.  This would gve us greate exposure in the
   Python community.
   3. Are there any local projects we could do?  Work with any service
   organizations?
   4. I am certain that we could do something with the CARLUG group.  The
   are in the initial stages of planning their Install Feast.  What could we do
   to help out?

I think a project would be a great thing to do.  Coltrey, you started this
:-)...what are your ideas?

--greg