[PyAR2] OLPC at PyArkansas

Chad Cooper Chad_Cooper at SWN.COM
Sat Aug 9 00:11:16 CEST 2008

Greg, I think I'll do one session on text/file processing. If we have a hole still in a couple of weeks, I'll plan on doing a talk on Python and GIS.

chad

-----Original Message-----
From: pyar2-bounces+chad_cooper=swn.com at python.org on behalf of Greg Lindstrom
Sent: Fri 8/8/2008 3:27 PM
To: pyar2 at python.org
Subject: [PyAR2] OLPC at PyArkansas

I am pleased to announce that Chad Files has agreed to present a talk on the "One Laptop per Child" (OLPC) program at pyArkansas.  Chad is a honch-level programmer at Novasys Health where he handles all of the web duties.  He was one of the first people to get his hands on a OLPC computer and it's always fun when he brings it to work to show us the latest.  OLPC is heavily into Python and, even if it weren't, it's a fascinating project that needs to get more press.

More press....I'll contact my friends at the Log Cabin Democrat (Conway's local paper) to see if we can get some ink.  I wonder if the DemGaz would be interested.

Anyone else want to commit to a class/talk.  We are setting up 50-minute blocks, so the actual talk should last about 40 minutes to allow for questions.  I think we have Jeff Rush for a 3-hour "Python 101" class (9-12, with breaks) and then something "more advanced" in the afternoon.  We have a UCA faculty member (Bernard) volunteering to teach a class; I hope he will do a talk on the Standard Library and another on Packages and Modules.

Chad Cooper is presenting on Text/File processing (1 or 2 sessions, Chad?)

Is anyone up on Django?  I've used it for 6 months but do not feel ready to get in front of people.  How about pyGame?  TurboGears? Is there interest in object-oriented programming?  Chad (Cooper) has done some cool stuff with GIS. GUI programming? Database programming?

Marsee (from OReilly) asked if we would be interesed in them sending a speaker.  I replied we are very interested and asked for a list of speakers and topics.

It looks like we will have three "tracks"; one for beginners and the other two for intermediate/advanced topics.  There's the start of a schedule scratched out on the wiki.

It's time to put your name on a class!  If you don't want to present, what do you want to see?

--greg

Notice:  This e-mail may contain privileged and/or confidential
information and is intended only for the addressee. If you are not the
addressee or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee,
you may not copy or distribute this communication to anyone else. If you
telephone or return e-mail and promptly delete the original message from
your system.