[PyAR2] Letters and Give-Aways

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 04:26:00 CEST 2008

Definitely save the best for last. Maybe throw out one or two small prizes,
then a big one, and then smaller prizes to the last, and finish off with a
bang. I just golfed in a scramble today, and for the door prizes they gave
out the weenie ones last... it was rather anticlimactic.

Another option, if you didn't want to add the code is rather than letting
them win twice, give them the option to trade their prize for the current
one. Then of course you offer the traded prize next.

Just my 2 cents.
-Wayne

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Chad Cooper <supercooper at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice Greg, I like it. Now make it so no one can win twice. Maybe three more
> lines of code?
> :-)
>
> Maybe save the big enchilladas (like the Wing licenses) for last during the
> panel session. No way to keep people around til the end like bribery, eh?

> Chad Cooper
> http://www.super-cooper.com/
>

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Greg Lindstrom <gslindstrom at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Today I am sending out letters to High Schools and Colleges/Universities
>> in Faulkner and White Counties (White County because I lived there for 10
>> years).  I have letters and fliers left over (as well as envelopes and
>> stamps).  If you want me to send an invite out to someone please let me
>> know.  Send me the name and address.
>>
>> As for give-aways, I think we may want to split it up and give some away
>> throughout the day (target certain things for certain classes).  We're going
>> to have a small mountain of stuff that would take a good deal of time.
>>
>> As far as the "random" program, I was thinking we could have all the
>> attendees listed in a text file (one name per line) and then while questions
>> are being answered I would do something like this (done using IDLE on the
>> screen):
>>
>> import random
>> input_filename = INSERT_FILENAME_HERE
>> names = []
>> for name in file(input_filename):
>>   names.append(name)
>>
>> while True:
>>    print random.choice(names)
>>    raw_input('Press <ENTER> to continue')
>>
>> I'd like to do something like this to show how easy Python is to use.

To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being called
gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: every weakness,
every vice, has found its defenders, its rhetoric, its ennoblement and
exaltation, but stupidity hasn't. - Primo Levi