[PyAR2] PyAR2 Digest, Vol 14, Issue 1

paul.hermeneutic at gmail.com paul.hermeneutic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 15:33:06 CET 2008

Greg:

Nice idea to have a programming challenge.

I assume that you are going to run the submitted code to see that
correct results are produced.  As the challenges get more complex, it
will become more difficult to ensure that no one has sent any
malicious code.

Is there already, or could we create, an automated system where users
could upload their source code?  I have seen such web sites for C/C++
code.  The system must first ensure that the code is not malicious.
This alone might be significant effort.  It would then then execute
the code and assess the results.  Several metrics would be generated
that would give an overview of the entry.

Correctness of results
Speed performance
Number of source code lines (LOC)
Ratio of comments to LOC

Are there other metrics by which source code can be evaluated?

-paul