[PyAR2] pyArkansas 2008

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 17:48:49 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Greg Lindstrom <gslindstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> It will run from 9AM-3PM (maybe 4PM).  This would give us a couple of
> sessions; morning and afternoon), with a lunch break.  Do we know if
> the UCA cafeteria will be open and, if so, available for our
> participants to use?  Should we try to come up with a sponsor for
> lunch?

I'm not sure about the Christian Cafeteria, but I'm fairly certain the
Student Center food court will be open by then (currently under some
extensive remodeling).

> We have 2 (or 3?) rooms per session. Certainly, one session should be
> an "introduction to Python" or "Python 101" class, as I am planning on
> sending fliers to local high schools and Colleges/Universities.   I
> could see this class spanning both sessions.

Perhaps for the beginner session(s?) we could do a two part (or more?)
series. In the introduction it might be nice to show some of the
larger projects that are written in python. And probably mention some
games as well. Perhaps in that session we could do some small hands-on
projects (i.e. "Hello World", loops, etc.), and then the next class
could put it all together with some more hands on stuff, maybe using
functions, etc.

> Many on the list asked for information on packages/modules.  I'm not
> sure if they were asking about how to use modules and packages or how
> to write their own (if you are out there reading this, please let me
> know!).

For me, both! (I have a basic idea, but it would be helpful to have
someone with more knowledge/experience explain it)

> I'd like to show off the Django web framework (maybe someone
> else is better suited for it!).  What other classes might be cool?  Do
> we set up "open space" for people to get up and show off their cool
> stuff(tm)?

Maybe we could do that during/after lunch? Have an "Eat and Greet"
type deal, where we can meet the programmers and see/use their
projects.

> I'd like to end the day with a short "keynote".  I believe that one of
> the new UCA faculty is doing research using Python (I do not believe
> Python is the focus of the research).  It would be nice, IMHO, to have
> someone show that this is a serious programming language that is being
> used.  We could also have door prizes; O"Reilley will send us books
> and Elegant Stitches will give us some polo shirts to give away.
>
> And finally, if this goes well, do we want to try something similar
> "up North" in the Spring?

My guess is that if there are enough people who show up here, we'd
have a similar turn out "up North"

> Let me know what you think and any ideas you have.  This is *our*
> conference (not mine :-).

I don't know if any professors/teachers would be willing to offer
extra credit to attend, but if they're willing, I'm sure that may
increase attendance by at least 5-10% (I've witnessed the laziness of
students, and participated in it myself. I'm fairly certain 5-10% fits
nicely into a bell curve.)

I know I'm looking forward to it!
-Wayne