[PyAR2] New (widescreen) Laptop and Ubuntu

Greg Lindstrom gslindstrom at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 19:14:22 CET 2008

The good news is that, while at PyCon this year, I received a shiny new
Gateway laptop (3 gig memory, dual core processor).  It came with Vista,
which I do not care for, so I installed Ubunto 7.10.  The problem is that
Ubuntu does not like the video driver; it has flagged it as "restricted" and
lets me know that it's not open source.  The screen background covers the
entire wide screen, but the menu bars (top and bottom) only cover the left
4/5s (or so) of the screen.    The video driver appears to be an "Intel(R)
PRO/Wireless 3945 Network Connection driver for Linux".

What can I do to fix this?  It is a very nice machine and I really want to
use it for all it's worth, but the whole "driver" thing has always been a
bit of a mystery to me (I'm just a programmer).  Can I get this to work
properly?  Do I need to get an equivalent FOSS driver (and how do I know
what to get).  I have the Vista cd, but I really think it's best use is as a
drink holder.

Thanks for your help,