[PyAR2] pyArkansas

Chad Cooper Chad_Cooper at SWN.COM
Tue May 20 15:08:46 CEST 2008

Greg, we could plan something up here, sure - possibly coordinated at
the UofA(?)/CAST. How about we see how the first one goes and learn from
that? I think one day for these would be ideal.

chad

-----Original Message-----
From: pyar2-bounces at python.org [mailto:pyar2-bounces at python.org] On
Behalf Of Greg Lindstrom
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 6:05 PM
To: pyar2 at python.org
Cc: carlug-discuss at carlug.org
Subject: [PyAR2] pyArkansas

Hello Everyone-

I have written Dr. Hu at UCA asking if they could help out with a Python
conference this fall.  If they can not help out, I'll write our friends
at Hendrix.  Mostly, I'd like to get a couple of rooms and a wireless
network.  Also, I'd like to get a general idea of when to schedule the
conference (the UCA schedule may dictate some of this) and then write
some letters asking for sponsorship; I'm pretty sure the Python Software
Foundation would help us and I'm guessing we could get local support
from Acxiom and other "tech" businesses (but only if we ask!).
O'Reilley will kick in some books to give away and I'm sure I can get my
friends at Elegant Stitches to give some polo shirts :-) I'm watching
the pyOhio conference to see what budget items need to be considered.

Since Python is one of the "lessor known" languages, I'm planning on
lots of introductory material; certainly a "introduction to Python"
session, but also showing off the web and scientific presence.  For
experienced users there will be more advanced sessions (either 30 or
45 minutes on various topics).   I'd like to send out announcements to
local schools; where else?  For this first meeting, I thing 1 day would
be better than planning a 2 day affair.

Chad, since you are active "up North", do you think we [c|s]hould plan a
session up there, too?  We could do it in the fall or wait until the
Spring, but I think it would be good to consider repeating our efforts
for NW Arkansas users.

Constructive comments are always welcome.

--greg