[PyAR2] Python Initiative for GIS and MidAmerica GIS Consortium

Eric.Foster at modot.mo.gov Eric.Foster at modot.mo.gov
Thu Oct 16 21:44:24 CEST 2008

I have been monitoring the recent conference via this listserv.
Congratulations to all on a successful conference.    I am also involved
with GIS and the MidAmerica GIS Consortium (MAGIC).

We hold the MAGIC Symposium every two years for GIS professionals across 8
states  (Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota,
Nebraska, and Oklahoma).    Since ArcGIS (ESRI GIS software) has strong
roots in Python for its scripting and modeling language, we have attempted
to provide workshops and training on Python language and scripting at our
Symposiums.   The last two Symposiums (2006 and 2008) had Python
curriculums that were subpar at best.   I am no programmer, but have been
working with another GIS professional at developing a 4 hr course for GIS
folks who are beginner programmers.   We are looking for instructors for
the next Symposium, and Python gurus to review our course materials for
the 2010 Symposium (which will also be used in February 2009 at the
Missouri GIS Conference).   To my knowledge, there is no active Python
group in Missouri or anywhere else in the midwest save your group and one
in Iowa.

If any of you Arkansas PyArtists are interested in instructing, the
Symposium will be in 2010 in April in Kansas City.      The Arkansas
representatives on MAGIC include Learon Dalby GIS Program Manager,
Arkansas Geographic Information Office), Susan Norton (CIO, Fayetteville
Public Schools), Phyllis Pooche (GIS Applications Laboratory, University
of Arkansas at Little Rock), Bill Sneed (USGS Geospatial Liaison for
Arkansas).  Their contact info is on the MAGIC website linked above.

We would greatly appreciate some input from the programming Python
community.   If you can help in any way, please contact me.

Eric Foster, Senior Transportation Planner
MoDOT, 600 NE Colbern Rd. Lee's Summit, MO 64086
(816) 622-6330