[PyAR2] PyAR2 Website

Larry Hale pythonlarry at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 21:02:04 CET 2008

WEBSITE: Ironically, in April I'd done some searching for web hosting that
had mod_python standard.  Webfaction was the only/best one I found.
Anywho...

I would humbly suggest we - and by "we", I of course mean those who have
access/experience - setup a wiki environment for the main site to start
off.  This allows simple direct access for a community to add, change,
update information.  Perhaps edit-privileges would be limited to those who
have signed up for PyAR^2 (and had their email confirmed)?

I don't have any direct experience with any frameworks, nor wiki systems,
but I've done a fair share of PHP dabbling for website programming, and have
started working with mod-python for the same things.  I have about 8 years
of experience in both languages and would be happy to lend a hand+brain!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_software#Python-based <-- To
peruse available wiki platforms.  MoinMoin is used by python.org, so might
not be a bad one to look at first?

A Personal Home Page for each member might be nice; picture, do a short
write-up, so that people can get to know each other.

Discussion forums.  Blogging software.  Some sort of hybrid, really.  (Folks
can have their own personal blogs elsewhere; I'm thinking/discussing about
PyAR^2-specific toplical pages.  :)  A wiki page on top, with user-/reader-
posts on the bottom.  Suggestion(s) for this?

---

Way-cool would be where each user could have a virtual server - or at least
mod_python environment - for putting projects (related to the User
Group/discussions) online.  (Versus having to have a personal web server or
some such.)

Although, with high-speed/always-on Inet being fairly common (everybody's
got that, right??  ;), can simply host a server at home on an unused port
and publish that link on the Group site.

Eh, maybe not so useful??  :>

---

LOGO: In April I'd also worked up some logo art; nothing original, but I
still hope "witty".  One of the first activities to do "with" the site, its
sort of innaguration, could be do host the contest for picking our logo?
Guess that means a voting system...
http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/RatingSystemForMoin ??

---

CHALLENGES: I'd also started culling programming challenges on the 'Net to
get some ideas for programming challenges we could have.  (Thanks for the
first one, Greg!  :)  I've got COPIOUS notes!  (Would best be left for
discussion until after Our Site is up.  :)

---

PROGRAMMING CONTESTS: For both a "challenge", as well as to get some
different perspectives on the same problems.  ("What" is easy; I've
researched many of these things, too!  :)  What would you others think about
something like the following?

1. The Gauntlet is thrown down!  (Challenge description, rules, deadlines,
etc.)

2. Entries are posted to the web site.  (If people are worried about their
code being seen before others, would there be a way to make pages "private"
to them until a certain time?  [Yeah, a py script could automatically change
setting{s} to force such a thing, I'm sure, but any CMS/Wiki software do
such a thing "out of the box"??])

3. CHANGES LOCKED OUT, VOTING BEGINS!  Categories could include:

    a. Swan (Ugly Duckling :) / Most Elegant Code Awards

    b. Most Efficient - runtime-wise (not open to "voting", I suppose :)

    c. Most Compact/Verbose

    d. The Perl Award (most obscure/obtuse :)

    e. Most-/Least-Pythonic Awards (some C/Java/YourNameHere programmers
just can't seem to change ;)

I've thought about something like this for programming shootouts
*regardless* of language, too.  But that's another story.

Just some of my two cents!

Cheers,
Larry

=====