[PyAR2] pyArkansas Conference

Greg Lindstrom gslindstrom at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 15:32:40 CEST 2008

Hello Chenyi,

Response to the conference is very enthusiastic; we have 58 people
registered and just got word that some members of the Dallas Python Users
Group would like to attend (probably another 4 or 5 people).  I sent out
another round of invitations to 17 more High Schools last week, so I expect
more people.

We have many more experienced users than we originally planned.  We have
been asked if it would be possible to have "Open Space" and/or "Lightning
Talks", sort of a "Show-and-Tell" session where anyone can stand up and
address an audience.  Would it be possible to get another classroom in the
afternoon (during the first and second "talk" session) for this?  It would
not require any software to be installed.  A projector and some seats is all
we would need.  We would have a sheet where people could sign up in the
morning to give an afternoon talk.  This is a common practice at most
"un-conferences"; we didn't anticipate having the more advanced users this
year.

Another way we could address this is to add 30 minutes to the final session,
extending the conference to 4:00.  We would allow 2 or 3 people to have 8
minutes each to give a quick ("lightning")  talk on their topic.  This would
be a great way for our new students to see what can be done with Python.
The drawback is that it extends your day another 30 minutes.

Is either of these suggestions possible?  Of the two, I think I would favor
the 4th classroom to give ample time to the speakers and relieve some
(possible) overcrowding.

Thanks for your help,

--greg