[PyAR2] [PyAR2-organizers] Setting a day for PyArkansas 2009

Wayne srilyk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 03:54:01 CEST 2009

2009/6/27 Greg Lindstrom <gslindstrom at gmail.com>

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd like to pick out day for the pyArkansas (do we want to call it
> Arkansas.py, or something else?) conference this year.  Most people who
> responded liked the idea of moving the date to November, with November 14
> being the favorite, so I'm "nominating" it.

I'll second the motion!

> If no one objects, I'd like us to start thinking about the format.  Last
> year we had tutorials in the morning (Intro to Python, Python Standard
> Library, and System Administration) and shorter "talks" in the afternoon.
> One room was left open for "open space", where people who show up can sign
> up to talk about anything they want.

I'd like to give a shorter talk about GUI frameworks, with a focus on
Tkinter, aimed at folks with little to no experience. Do we talk to you
about that, Greg?

> The question with both is do we present Python 2.x or 3.0 (as you know, 3.0
> is not backwards compatible with 2.x, there are nowhere near the libraries
> written for it, but it is the future).

I think we should present 2.x (preferably 2.6), with a few mentions about
"this is how 3k is different". Mainly with the print function. Most folks on
the tutor mailing list suggest holding off on 3.0 for a while, mainly
because 1) There are few tutorials focused on 3.0, 2) It will be a while
before all of your favourite tools are migrated to 3.0, and 3) most existing
code is written in 2.x

I think probably next year we should offer one on 3.0, but this year I don't
see a real need (but there should definitely be about 1-3 minutes of the
talk devoted to 3.0 - what it is and some of the differences.

> Other classes requested are Database, Django (web framework), SQLAlchemy,
> and GIS.  Last year we Had a group from Oklahoma that said they would have
> come if we would have had a GIS class (we had a 1-hour talk).

I don't know if anyone in the GIS dept at UCA uses python, but it would
probably be worth asking (if only to generate some more interest!)

> Last year I gave a talk on pyGame and received word from the gentleman who
> wrote pyGame that he would be willing to come give a class.

I would be pretty excited about that! I know my biggest problem last year
was not having enough time to go to all the classes I wanted! Sounds like
the lineup this year could be similar.

>   Someone talked to me about having a "mini" programming contest (aimed at
> newbies)?

That sounds like a really cool idea. I know Tom Winters, who's coaching our
CS Programming Team has some python/pygame experience. I could shoot him an
email and ask for some ideas.

> Again, if there are no objections, I'd like to start contacting potential
> teachers to see if they are available to give classes.  We cover the cost of
> their travel and hotel.  Last year we also gave a modest stipend to each
> teacher as well as an "Arkansas" gift.

I can't remember if we did - I don't think so - but we should definitely get
them some "Arkansas Traveler" certificates - AFAIK they're free at the
Capitol Building.

Would there be interest in meeting on IRC next week to start discussing
> this?

I'd be interested.

-Wayne