[PyAR2] pyArkansas, 2010

Greg Lindstrom gslindstrom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 13:54:44 CEST 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 9:00 AM, C Burch <dr.cburch at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. I'd personally like to see this happen again. In terms of
> attendance, it was a definite success these last two years. I realize
> that it can't be judged successful without volunteers to organize!
>
> 2. UCA is the right way to go here. I'm confident I could find good
> classroom facilities at Hendrix, but I can't imagine how we could get
> the classroom computers that UCA has provided.

I agree.  Dr. Hu and UCA have been very good to us and I'd like to ask them,
again.  I may see if we can get another room for Open Space.

> 3. I liked the format from two years ago best - the three-hour block
> in the morning followed up by hour-long blocks in the afternoon. Last
> year, the afternoon mostly turned out to be a three-hour block as well
> - I guess because we wanted to take full advantage of the visitors. My
> one biggest suggestion from last year (which I've already mentioned to
> you, Greg) is that it would be nice for the morning to offer a session
> that would appeal to Python experts.

Again, I agree.  I wonder if the class for complete beginners is a good
idea.  We had 4 people in it last year (although, one was representing
Philander Smith College to evaluate Python for their curriculum!).  The
other consideration is the Intro to Python for Programmers has been
jam-packed the past two years.  Having the computers set up is a huge plus
for the conference!

> 4. I would definitely be happy to speak again - with a reprise of my
> Python-for-programmers talk or something different. By the way,
> Hendrix is now using Python in several of its courses, including the
> introductory computer science course.

Your class was very well received last year and I'd love to have you present
it again.  I would also like more advanced talks.  Let's see what develops.
As for using Python in your classes, Hendrix has always been forward
thinking :-).  UCA has hired Dr. Chen, a Honco-Level Python coder/teacher
from Georgia and I know that the Physics department at Henderson State
University is using Python to analyze data from their telescope (I may even
get the chance to write some software for them).

> If we have Gloria Jacobs again, I'd definitely like to ask her whether
> we could host a women students' event with her at Hendrix like we did
> last year. In fact, our computer science department might be able to
> defray some of the cost of bringing her in.

I spoke to her at pyOhio and she would like to come.  Maybe we could split
expenses.  I will speak with Jeff Rush at pyTexas at the end of the month to
see if he will speak, too.  He will drive, which is much cheaper than
flying.

> 6. My personal college-professor perspective on e-mail versus snail
> mail: Probably on balance you're better off with snail mail. While
> you're more likely to get my personal attention by e-mail, I'm more
> likely to display a flyer for students to see if it comes to me by
> snail mail, already printed.

And the fliers last year looked great.  We had them printed on glossy
paper.  Maybe we can hit all of the Colleges/Universities (and Tech
Schools?) and then get the High School "in the neighborhood" (and the home
schoolers, too).

> 7. I'd be happy to deal with contacting colleges in the area this
> year. And while I don't feel up to contacting high schools on my own,
> I'd be happy to help.

OK.  I'll get the High Schools/Home Schoolers.  We'll need to get a flier
made up, but that can wait for now.

> 8. One date I'd suggest avoiding is November 6 - that's the regional
> ACM collegiate programming contest. Many faculty and students who
> would otherwise come to the Python conference will be committed to
> compete there. From the collegiate perspective, it's best if it's a
> few weekends away from that - like early to mid-October - though
> that's pretty soon!

OK.  Let's get to work.  Here are dates:

Oct 2 -
Oct 9 - UCA Home Football Game
Oct 16 -
Oct 23 - UCA Home Football Game
Oct 30 - Too Close to ACM Contest?

It looks like either Oct 2 or 16.  I'll write Dr. Hu at UCA to see if he
would be willing to host the event and, if so, which date would be better
for them.

I guess it's time to get to work!

--greg