[PyAR2] pyArkansas, 2010

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:34:50 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Greg Lindstrom <gslindstrom at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 9:00 AM, C Burch <dr.cburch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>
> 3. I liked the format from two years ago best - the three-hour block
>> in the morning followed up by hour-long blocks in the afternoon. Last
>> year, the afternoon mostly turned out to be a three-hour block as well
>> - I guess because we wanted to take full advantage of the visitors. My
>> one biggest suggestion from last year (which I've already mentioned to
>> you, Greg) is that it would be nice for the morning to offer a session
>> that would appeal to Python experts.
>>

> Again, I agree.  I wonder if the class for complete beginners is a good
> idea.  We had 4 people in it last year (although, one was representing
> Philander Smith College to evaluate Python for their curriculum!).  The
> other consideration is the Intro to Python for Programmers has been
> jam-packed the past two years.  Having the computers set up is a huge plus
> for the conference!

For the beginner class it might be useful to poll some of the schools, but
my guess (based on the numbers from last year) is that most of the attendees
probably came from at least a high school programming course so they know
about if-statements and looping.

> 4. I would definitely be happy to speak again - with a reprise of my
>> Python-for-programmers talk or something different. By the way,
>> Hendrix is now using Python in several of its courses, including the
>> introductory computer science course.
>>

> Your class was very well received last year and I'd love to have you
> present it again.  I would also like more advanced talks.

I think that would be a great class - especially for those non-repeat
attendees, but I'd definitely love some more advanced talks. I'd be willing
to present a shorter talk about device interaction with Python (Webcams, wii
remotes, arduino, etc.), or perhaps if there's interest, I could give a
class on GUI programming with either Tkinter or pyGTK, geared towards
programmers with some Python experience, but little/no GUI experience.

> <snip>
>
> OK.  Let's get to work.  Here are dates:
>
> Oct 2 -
> Oct 9 - UCA Home Football Game
> Oct 16 -
> Oct 23 - UCA Home Football Game
> Oct 30 - Too Close to ACM Contest?
>
> It looks like either Oct 2 or 16.  I'll write Dr. Hu at UCA to see if he
> would be willing to host the event and, if so, which date would be better
> for them.

I'll put my vote in for the 16th.

-Wayne