[Pycon-interest] sprint

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Dec 18 21:22:44 EST 2002

> > Ditto here.  How is this going to be handled?  My impression from reading
> > about the Zope sprints was that people came in and did XP-style hacking on
> > the core code.  I assumed that meant you had to already know a good amount
> > about the core, but this little discussion has led me to think I was wrong
> > about that assumption.
> >
> > Obviously not everyone can do the sprints.  This is going to be a queue
> > sign-up?  Or is Jeremy going to decide who gets to do it?  If the word is
> > spread that anyone can do them regardless of abilities then the sprints
> > might have a rather large inflow of people wanting to do it.
> >
> > And if anyone can do it regardless of skill base, then I want to be on the
> > list behind Chris.  =)

We can do this in several ways.  If we make the sprinters pay extra
for use of facilities during the sprint, we can basically handle as
many people as sign up.  If we pay for the sprint facilities out of
conference surplus, we have to be more selective.

Sprints for pure newbies (no Python experience) probably won't work
well, although there are some local folks in DC who have some
experience.  (George Paci <george@rightinternet.com> should know more;
you should ask him if he wants to run one.)

Sprints for people with Python experience but no experience on a
particular code base (e.g. Zope) can work if there's an introductory
talk at the beginning.  This is how Jim Fulton does most Zope3
sprints.  But that takes time away from sprinting (his intro was
almost a full day at the recent sprint in Rotterdam).

Sprints need focused projects that have been selected by more
experienced developers ahead of time; you can't just get together
without a plan and expect much to happen.

I suggest that we shouldn't try to plan the sprints just yet.  But
maybe someone can transfer some of this to the Wiki so there's info
for people interested in sprints.