[Pycon-interest] hotel group rate.

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Dec 19 10:53:16 EST 2002

> Are there any plans for any group rates any where.
>
> I called  the sales dept at George Washington university inn
> http://www.gwuinn.com .
>
> They said a block of ten rooms could hold until Until feb 28 at 196.00 a
> night. If reservation for the block are not filled by then they will let
> them go.
>
> I have looked on the web and there are several nice hotels around the area
> or close to the blue train line for around 125.00 a night.
>
> That is a much better rate.
>

> That week I understand is "cherry blossom" week. I suppose Washington has
> events year round so I don't know how early reservations typically need to
> be made.
>
> chris j

I live near DC so I don't really know anything about hotels there, but
I expect that hotels close to the event might be expensive and fill up
soon.  Fortunately it's close to the metro so you should be able to
find hotels in the suburbs with better rates.

Please record any info you find about hotels in the Wiki!  The
conference organizers don't have time or experience to go research
hotel options.  However, here's a list that Adam Turoff once mailed
me:

> I've been looking into hotels.  I poked around expedia for availability
> from March 26 to 29 (4 nights, wednesday thorugh saturday).
>
> I've also started contacting hotels for group rates; some of the group
> rates are no better than the regular rates, and they require signing a
> contract with a minimum number of rooms sold (with someone financially
> responsible for unbooked rooms).  Most hotels are less than responsive...
>
> 	Radission - Barcelo Hotel (DuPont Circle)
> 	$125/night, $99/weekend
>
> 	State Plaza hotel (Foggy Bottom; near GWU)
> 	$119/night, $99/weekend
>
> 	Hilton Silver Spring (Near Metro, in suburban MD)
> 	$99/hight, $74/weekend
>
> 	Windsor Park Hotel
> 	Conn Ave, between DuPont Circle/Woodley Park Metro stations
> 	$95/night; needs a car
>
> 	Econo Lodge Alexandria (Near Metro, in suburban VA)
> 	$95/night
>
> This is a hand picked list; I ignored anything over $125/night, even
> though there are some really well situated hotels nearby at higher rates.
> Also, I'm not sure how much these prices reflect an expedia-only
> discount.  I can't vouch for any of these hotels, either.
>
> I also found out that the down season for DC Hotels are mid-june through
> mid-september, and mid-november through mid-january.

Feel free to copy this into the Wiki too!

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PyCon