[Pycon-interest] Talk proposal: Using reST

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Tue Nov 26 01:44:02 2002

On Monday 25 November 2002 02:14 pm, Brett Cannon wrote:
> It was suggested to me that I consider giving a talk at PyCon on
> using ReStructured Text (reST)  since I use it on the python-dev
> Summaries. Since I have never done this kind of thing before, I am
> not sure what the commmittee needs from me.

And the committee is still working on an answer to this question. We
just sent out the call for papers and are a little behind on figuring
out what exactly we will need in the way of proposals. I think we
should have an answer for you shortly after the Thanksgiving holiday.

> If I did do this I would go over uses of reST, through reST syntax,
> possible gotchas that could throw someone, the tools that are
> included with docutils and how to use them, and if time allows the
> general module layout.  I can mention design ideas, but that is
> really David Goodger's thing since he helped design reST.
> Unfortunately David doesn't think he will be able to make it to PyCon
> so the other suggestion given to me of David talking about design and
> then me covering use will not work.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I keep meaning to work with reST, but
haven't had the time to get over the initial hurdle.

> So, does the committee need a more formal outline of what I would do?

Yes. And we should have our requirements in order shortly.

>  Or perhaps the committee should first decide whether this talk
> should really be given (doesn't fit cleanly with the "Popularizing
> Python" theme; kind of does only because people can use reST outside
> of Python and thus garner some notice for the language)?  What is the
> next step in the process?

I personally think it is a fine idea. One interpretation of
"Popularizing Python" is popularizing certain tools and practices
within our own community, which will make up the bulk of the attendees
to this conference. So while the theme talks about popularizing, we
still expect the conference to be predominately Python programmers
(though with different levels of experience).

> -Brett Cannon
>
> P.S.: It looks like I am going to be involved in planning PyCon, but
> I will in no way use  that  position to comment on this proposal; in
> the name of fairness and such I will stay quiet.

Great. We'll take all the help we can get. And I wouldn't worry too much
about unfair positions. This conference is put on *by* Python
developers *for* Python developers. So the odds are high that several
of the organizers may also submit proposals. I think we can handle that
without any scandals.

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech      http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien