[Pycon-interest] Object-relational mapping tutorial

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Sat Jan 11 11:26:18 EST 2003

I'd like to run a tutorial on the new object-relational mapping framework
in the AdaptableStorage Zope product.  I presented a paper on
AdaptableStorage at OSCON last July, and it went over well, but the
software wasn't ready to use at the time.  Now the project has matured
enough that people can start building their own object-relational
mappings.

The feature that sets this O/R mapping framework apart from others is that
it integrates well with ZODB.  Developers can take advantage of quick
development with an object-oriented database and later switch their
application to store in a relational database or any other data store.  I
believe this framework, used with ZODB, addresses the need to separate
storage details from the application itself.

I'd like to teach the attendees how to use the framework, along with ZODB,
in their own projects.  A tutorial setting would give me a better
opportunity to interact with attendees than a talk would.  I've never
given a tutorial at a conference before, but I've presented papers before
and I have teaching experience.

By the way, the conference sounds very exciting, regardless of the number
of attendees.  There are so many good things happening in the world of
Python, and it will be a great chance to talk with Pythonistas
from all over.

Shane