[Pycon-volunteers] PyCon is upon us!

Yarko Tymciurak yarkot1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 18:34:13 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM, David Kua <david.kua at mail.utoronto.ca>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I signed up to be a Session Runner for the Great America Friday morning
> track. I arrive in SFO today at 10pm so I am going to miss the volunteer
>  orientation. What do I need to know for running?

The basic info is at
https://us.pycon.org/2013/about/volunteers/sessionstaff/

You need to there for Brandon Rhodes 20 minutes prior;   If you show up an
extra 15-20 minutes earlier  (10:15), Doug or I will get you setup with a
radio, and what you need to know / do.

Thanks, and have a good flight!

Regards,
- Yarko

David

> On 2013-03-11, at 6:49 AM, Douglas Napoleone wrote:
>
> All,
>
>     Thank you, everyone, for volunteering to help out. PyCon is a 100%
> volunteer run effort, and it would not be possible without you. While the
> volunteer organizers and staff plan things out before the event, once it
> starts, all of the real work is done by you; the onsite- volunteer. Without
> your hard work and sacrifice, there would not be a PyCon. As PyCon grows it
> has become harder and harder to remain a volunteer effort, but everyone
> involved feels this is critical to the community nature of the event. This
> year we have expanded the size of the conference by 20%. 20% more people,
> 20% more talks, 20% more special events. Of course this means 20% more
> volunteer slots and 20% more volunteers. And the community has come
> through. I am once again amazed and humbled.
>
> For those of you whom have joined in the past few days, there are a few
> things you should know:
>
> * OPS, and the Green room are in the 200 area rooms on the 2nd floor above
> the main lobby.
> * For those arriving early, we will be doing setup in OPS, starting today.
> Most of the real work will start tomorrow, Tuesday. Feel free to stop by
> and say hello.
> * The green room is open to you for the duration of the conference
> * For those helping out with registration or tutorials on Wednesday and
> Thursday, please stop by OPS when you can and ask for Yarko, Stuart, or
> Doug to receive instructions.
> * After the bag stuffing party on Thursday (4pm in the 200 rooms), there
> will be an orientation for speakers, session staff, and general volunteers
> (8:00pm). Please try to attend both if you can.
> * There is still a bug in the session staff app, where some people are
> showing up as a blank string. The web team is working on a fix.
> * Please feel free to use this list to communicate issues and problems, as
> well at the #pycon irc channel on freenode.net
> * I (Doug Napoleone) can be reached directly at doug.napoleone at gmail.comand via my cell phone:
> 1-774-644-0049
>
> We still have 15 open slots for session staff, and registration can always
> use more help. We can fill in these slots by recruiting people on-site.
> Please spread the word.
>
> Once again, thank you all for stepping forward. Lets have a fantastic
> conference!
>
>     -Doug Napoleone
>      PyCon 2013 Head of Operations
>      PSF Board of Directors