[Pycon-volunteers] Tutorial Volunteering and misc items

Ewa Jodlowska ewa at python.org
Tue Mar 7 16:24:34 EST 2017

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 12:49 AM, Jamiel Almeida <slashfoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> My idea with the tables are for rallying up the volunteers that show up
> the day of with little info on what to do, I'm sure the people at that
> table will be bored a few hours into the conference.
>
> So at that point we could either put the sign there, or fold it into
> registration later.
>
> The utility for this is basically so that volunteers that show up
> fresh/new to the whole deal, that put their names on the excell sheets and
> half-read the instructions have somewhere to anchor to at the beginning of
> the day when only early risers are at the tables.
>
> We could also just replace the whole idea with a big "catchy" sign that
> reads "Volunteering? Go to the staff room".

I am not sure which option would work best. On one hand I think the staff
room is a good place but on the other hand, it can be an intense place to
walk into if it is busy...which it is most of the time :) We don't always
have people in there to welcome and assist volunteers either...

> Another idea that I have seen at another family friendly conference (or
> maybe it was at pycon in a previous year? don't remember) was that the
> volunteers wore (those that wanted to, anyways) Dr. Seuss, "Cat in the Hat"
> hats so that they could be easily identified. I like the idea of wearing
> something distinct so that people that need help can have an easier way
> getting it.

It was at PyCon. Rami kept the concept alive for a while. This was sort of
replaced by the staff t-shirts. Maybe this year we can add something that
says "questions? ask me"?

The hat idea is nice because it is easy to spot in a crowd, but I know
everyone will not wear it... I know I wouldn't because my head would be
over heated by 9am :)